[tlug] Firefox dead, can't reinstall

On a neighbouring computer, Firefox has sort of died, so I tried reinstalling it. The synaptic package manager thingy said "[something] Cannot be authenticated", and when I persisted, just failed anyway. I found some help on a forum: tried apt-get update, which listed masses of locations, quite a few "can't access", then apt-get install firefox, but in the end this all failed. The problem seems to be that it cannot access security.ubuntu.com.

On this computer, that domain redirects to somethingelse.ubuntu. And this is what I get from apt...

brian@Bach ~ $ sudo apt-get update
[sudo] password for brian:
Ign:1 http://packages.linuxmint.com sarah InRelease
Hit:2 http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease
Get:3 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security InRelease [102 kB] Hit:4 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease Hit:5 http://packages.linuxmint.com sarah Release Get:6 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates InRelease [102 kB] Get:8 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports InRelease [102 kB]
Fetched 306 kB in 1s (160 kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done

I don't understand what all this means, but it seems to work. How can I reset the other computer to a state where apt-get will start working again?

Hope this is a coherent question. TIA.