Re: [tlug] Akihabara, used/refurbished Mac laptops?

On Nov 9, 2017, at 9:00, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:

>> On 2017-11-07 21:57 +0900 (Tue), Kevin Sullivan wrote:
>>
>> ..another 13-inch Macbook Pro, this time preferrably a 2015-6 era
>> with Retina display, and upgradable to 16gb and maybe 500gb-1tb
>> storage.
>
> I think all the newer Macbooks (at least 2015 onward) have
> non-upgradable memory ( it's soldered on to the motherboard). That
> said, my experience has been that the work reasonably well at 8 GB, if
> being perhaps a bit tight if you have a lot of tabs or programs open.
> If you're running Linux on it you'll have a bit more elbow room; a
> typical Linux system running desktop apps uses about 2 GB less RAM
> than a Mac running the same apps.

Yes, good to know. I think what I am after is a Retina display and faster quad-core i7, 16gb, and phatter SSD.  Living within limits PC-wise or god forbid sorting/cleaning unused data seems so unappealing compared to “upgrading” to higher/newer capacities. Perhaps a bit more research (online as you suggest) could help me hone in specific models filling the bill.

> I don't know what the older ones have for drives, but I am pretty sure
> that the newer ones are not standard HDD form factors (2.5") but mSATA
> or M.2 cards (see <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2> for a pic).

Saw that in some specs. I can say the mid-2012 13’ MacBook pros while a bit chunky in their metal case and dual-core 2.5ghz i5 does upgrade to 16gb, despite official Mac claims of only 8gb, and uses standard 2.5hdd/sdd. I had mine upgraded to those specs last year from 4gb & 500mb hdd, and I was very pleased with the USD$400 spent. Night and day difference in the speed and usability for my style of leaving so many tabs open and programs running at all times.

True true. Time may yet cure my techno-itch, but I am noticing a tendency to look around for something to spend on... ;) Maybe its time to get practical and find this years snow tires @ Up Garage.