Re: [tlug] VPN in Debian

On Thu, 2017-10-19 at 15:12 +0800, Kevin Sullivan wrote:
> Travel in China has convinced me I need a self-hosted VPN.
> Experiences?  OpenVPN the software to install and play nice with
> iPhones and Mac OSX?

I installed OpenVPN on the smallest Digital Ocean droplet without too
much trouble. The instructions on Digital Ocean are excellent: very
detailed and complete. It worked fine but there's crazy overhead. With
no VPN I get about 18Mbps; with the University's Cisco Anyconnect VPN I
get about 12~14Mbps. Using my own VPN I get about 8Mbps. I don't know
if it would be better if I used a bigger droplet with more memory.
Also, I don't know if distance is a factor. I normally live in Florida,
the University is in Chicago, and Digital Ocean is in California.

--
Stuart Luppescu
Chief Psychometrician (ret.)