Re: [tlug] VoIP help

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 7:14 AM, Benjamin Kowarsch <trijezdci@example.com> wrote:

>> On Oct 18, 2017, at 11:06, Kalin KOZHUHAROV <me.kalin@example.com> wrote:
>> 2. Add some kind of gateway/proxy that will register the FritzBox and
>> transparently pass all calls to and from provider and can run on cheap
>> hardware
>> 3. Add inline "packet injector" to return "200 OK" to any REGISTER messages
>>
>> As you might have guessed, I am eyeballing number 3, hopefully using a
>> tiny OpenWRT-based box. Also considering IP spoofing / direct
>> injection (since provider silently drops the REGISTER). Any thoughts?
>>

> Why on earth would you jump on a kludge as your first choice?
>
> Better options would be ...
>
> (1) replace that fritzbox with a solidly engineered open source IP-PBX
> solution:
>
> https://freeswitch.org/
>
> (a) use the fritzbox solely as DECT base station
>
> (b) get a SIP driven DECT base station to hook up your DECT phones
>
> [freeswitch]---SIP---[SIP/DECT basestation]---DECT---[DECT phone]
>
> (c) replace the DECT phones with IP phones

As far as I can see this is more or less choice 2 above :-D
I have done some preliminary setup of Asterisk on a GL-iNet AR150
running OpenWRT, may test that.
My asterisk skills are a bit rusty though...
I hope that `directmedia=yes` in sip.conf will be enough to not run
the RTP traffic through the router, just SIP.

> (2) replace that fritzbox with a not so well engineered somewhat shaky but
> open source IP-PBX:
>
> Asterisk
>
> then use the Osmocom project's open source DECT stack to drive your DECT
> phones
>
> http://dect.osmocom.org/

Argh! I spend hours looking for something like this and found nothing!
But, looking at the hardware support, I am not sure I can find a
suitable solution (cheap box) that has this chipset.

> You can run any of this on a small embedded device like the ones from
>
> http://www.pcengines.ch/

Those look nice, I'll get one, may be not for this particular project,
but I am tiny-linux-router ใƒ•ใ‚งใƒ :-D

Cheers,
Kalin.