Re: [tlug] Japan Phone experts?

Thanks, Chris.

On Sep 28, 2017, at 22:21, Chris Salzberg <chris@example.com> wrote:

Q2: Recommendations for the most effective/cheapest plans?

Other plans/providers for in-JP service that I should investigate?

Yes, IIJMIO: https://www.iijmio.jp/

They're more well-known as "BIC SIM" (i.e. Bic Camera SIM).

Here's the plans page:

https://www.iijmio.jp/hdd/spec/typed.jsp

Highly recommended, again as long as you're not making tons of calls.

I will check into that… however traveling to Singapore this Sunday so this will get pushed up a few weeks.

Q3: International Roaming -
I work outside Japan and need internet/phone, usually less than a week in places like Australia, Vietnam, China, Korea, Indonesia, Singapore/HK, etc. Yes, a buy-local SIM is one option for longer stays. My system was 2phones JP/unlocked travel using the http://www.onesimcard.com/ <http://www.onesimcard.com/> plus card, which allows adding various data plans for 180 countries as needed in a second unlocked phone. Somewhat limited data and a bit expensive but only pay for what/when I use it, not a monthly fee.

There's also a "travel sim". You buy it and you can use it and recharge
it many times (as long as you use it at least once in a year).

You also get a number which (for some reason) ends up being a Dutch
phone number. The rates for data end up being pretty cheap, and phone is
not super cheap but if you'll just be making a few calls it's probably
cheaper than getting a local sim of wherever you're travelling to.

You can also recharge the sim online from wherever you're travelling to.

More info:

https://www.iijmio.jp/gts/

I can look into it… but for a while-
I will stay with the OneSimCard for a bit longer. It can be activated/recharged online, and though it too is based/issued from Estonia (+37, anyone?), it has a PEN “Personal Extra Number” that is only $15/yr so I can have a local area code number in USA my family can reach me at, though frankly Skype/Viber/Messenger is the more usual way. For another $15 per year I could get a Japanese number as well. I am loathe to force +500 people to update a phone number I have had for 15-20+ years.

Thanks for the input and the lead on BIC SIM, Chris.

~Kevin