Re: [tlug] Japan Phone experts?

Q2: Recommendations for the most effective/cheapest plans?

My needs are fairly limited in Japan, with few local phone calls and likely under 1gb data/month as most comm/data needs are met via WiFi. Possibly even a pay-as-you-go plan rather than monthly.

I am aware of an AU plan that is ¥1400/mo for calls under 5min and less than 1gb data/mo for ¥1700, total monthly fee from about ¥3100. Use more data, then 1-2gb data automatically increased to ¥2700/mo. That could work out to ¥4100, plus whatever for calls over 5 minutes in length… clearly better than my current Softbank ¥6-11,000 fees. Brag/share your bill….

Other plans/providers for in-JP service that I should investigate?

Yes, IIJMIO: https://www.iijmio.jp/

They're more well-known as "BIC SIM" (i.e. Bic Camera SIM).

Here's the plans page:

https://www.iijmio.jp/hdd/spec/typed.jsp

Basically they resell other carrier's lines at a cheaper price by buying bulk and doing away with all the expensive stuff like physical stores, etc. So the rates are dirt cheap.

The main catch is that if you make lots of calls, it gets expensive. But you mention that you don't make many calls, so this should be much cheaper than what you're paying now.

e.g.: for 1600 yen/mo you get 3GB/mo data, calls cost 20 yen/30 seconds, and SMS cost 3-30 yen each depending on length.

I use this plan and tether using it (so no paying extra for a pocketwifi router) and pay between 2000-3000 yen per month.

Highly recommended, again as long as you're not making tons of calls.

Q3: International Roaming -
I work outside Japan and need internet/phone, usually less than a week in places like Australia, Vietnam, China, Korea, Indonesia, Singapore/HK, etc. Yes, a buy-local SIM is one option for longer stays. My system was 2phones JP/unlocked travel using the http://www.onesimcard.com/ <http://www.onesimcard.com/> plus card, which allows adding various data plans for 180 countries as needed in a second unlocked phone. Somewhat limited data and a bit expensive but only pay for what/when I use it, not a monthly fee.

There's also a "travel sim". You buy it and you can use it and recharge it many times (as long as you use it at least once in a year).

You also get a number which (for some reason) ends up being a Dutch phone number. The rates for data end up being pretty cheap, and phone is not super cheap but if you'll just be making a few calls it's probably cheaper than getting a local sim of wherever you're travelling to.

You can also recharge the sim online from wherever you're travelling to.

More info:

https://www.iijmio.jp/gts/

I've used this once and it worked out well. You can buy the SIM at Bic Camera, although you need to tell them exactly what they want because in my experience many staff don't even know they sell this thing.

Chris

I am aware of Google FI and it looks interesting (one review here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/shelbycarpenter/2016/09/27/revew-30-days-google-project-fi/#5edc108f1625 <https://www.forbes.com/sites/shelbycarpenter/2016/09/27/revew-30-days-google-project-fi/#5edc108f1625> ), BUT currently only for US accounts, only works on a few nice/expensive phones capable of the carrier switching function, and works in 120 countries (most I need, but missing Australia and Korea which occasionally are necessary). I would hate to go to an expensive Android then Google decides I am not a “US Account” and cancels the service on me. Are their other viable options you know of, or just simplify into one phone and change SIMs at the airport?

Q4: Market value of black iPhone5 64gb locked/Softbank with fickle power switch? If virtually nil it will make an awesome IOS 10.3.3 WiFi camera/iPod device. Could it be hacked into running Linux and hosting my website? Joking there, but a cool project no doubt.

Regards,
Kevin Sullivan

JP +81-90-9829-9653
kts@example.com