Re: [tlug] silicon cash eater

On Jun 29, 2017, at 11:29, Stephen J. Turnbull <turnbull.stephen.fw@example.com> wrote:

that I think nobody in their senses is
getting disrupted (well, Toshiba, but hey, and anyway they put all
their eggs in a bucket of fissionables, which we already knew was a
stupid idea).

That idea may change.

Bill Gates has a TED video called Innovating to Zero outlining some of the global warming issues and the solutions he thinks may be needed. Wind and solar are nice, but possibly nowhere near the dream of cheap plentiful energy for everyone. One option that has potential is nuclear, but a special type that eats old nuclear waste using U-235, not 238. Waste issue resolved, but do you want to be the first one to test it out in your backyard? Kind of build a cylinder in the ground full of the old waste, keep it closed for 50 years as it eats its way down consuming the waste. Technical challenges, but promising, with terra-mods and climate manipulation as a secret backup plan if we procrastinate and miss the window.

Regards,
Kevin Sullivan

JP +81-90-9829-9653