Re: [tlug] Dealing with a possibly busted external HD

On 2017-03-21 19:56 +0900 (Tue), Claus Aranha wrote:

> (I have my data mirrored across two computers on different buildings
> in campus, plus a third one off campus).

Consider using cloud storage. A hundred bucks or so per year will get
you a terrabyte or so of storage. Data that can live with off-line
access can be encrypted before being uploaded, if you're worried about
the security of it.

In typical use cases this also serves as your sync. mechanism between
copies on local drives. You may want to keep an "offline" drive that
you only connect and update from time to time, though, to allow you to
recover from the "someone broke into my account and deleted all my
files" disaster.

I use Dropbox, though I'm considering moving my "large" storage chunk
over to Google drive once I can find and test a good Linux sync client
for that, but that's just related to cost and convenience.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson         <cjs@example.com>         +81 90 7737 2974

To iterate is human, to recurse divine.