Re: [tlug] Dealing with a possibly busted external HD

On 2017-03-17 12:12, Kalin KOZHUHAROV wrote:
> Disclaimer: I work with a data recovery company, though not employee.
> Not spinning drives are very rare these days (past 1990).

Sounds like you have more current/accurate info than me. Thanks for the
education!

> BTW, another slightly time-consuming, BUT FUN, way is to open and
> disassemble the drive. Use the magnets on your fridge (write GEEK on
> them), bend the platters or sand them.

The most powerful magnets i own are ones i pulled from drives.
Definitely worth doing if you have the time. Modern drives sometimes
have magnets in weird shapes that are glued to metal bits. I've never
figured out a good way to unglue them. Any thoughts on that?

__
Daniel Ramaley | Server Engineer 2
Information Technology Services | Drake University
T: +1 (515) 271-4540
W: http://its.drake.edu/