Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [tlug] Skype or Something Better?
- Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 16:46:23 +0000
- From: Darren Cook <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [tlug] Skype or Something Better?
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/45.5.1
> A lot of my clients are now requiring a Whatsapp account for > communicating with their reps. The "good" program that would run as a > Linux standalone was forced off the net by Whatsapp's lawyers, but there > is still a good plug-in (?) that allows you to run the web app as a > separate window. The one BIG problem is that you need a keitai with a > camera for setup, it needs to be left idling while you're online / > waiting for calls, and the keitai should be running off your WiFi... BTW, what is the reasoning behind this? I.e. I have to install an app on my cheap Chinese-built Android phone, and the app requires permission to poke into just about everything. And then the desktop version (Linux WebApp or native Windows/Mac app, as far as I can tell) is basically acting as a dumb client connecting to a server running on my phone. (IIUC?) That is so weird, there must be a good reason for it. Is it about tying it to a phone number? Is this for regulatory purposes, or as part of the security aspect? Darren
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: Re: [tlug] Skype or Something Better: Whatsapp
- Next by Date: [tlug] Mint 18.1 scanner (suddenly!) not recognized
- Previous by thread: Re: [tlug] Skype or Something Better: Whatsapp
- Next by thread: Re: [tlug] Skype or Something Better?
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links