Re: [tlug] hosting in Japan

Hi David,

On 2017年02月08日 16:30, dblomber wrote:
> Have a friend who is looking for hosting in Japan (they are having lag
> issues to the US and would like to have server provided- just adding
> their own program on a provided server)

If your friend is looking for a VPS (Virtual Private Server: your friend
is responsible for configuring and maintaining the system, which is a
virtual machine on hardware with other customer VMs), then I second Furkan
Mustafa's recommendation for Linode.  The base images are relatively lean,
so you do not have to run a server with unwanted software.  (I strictly
avoid installing PHP or Ruby, especially on servers!)

Homepage: https://www.linode.com/

Another good option is Vultr, which also supports OpenBSD and FreeBSD, for
those who want better security as well as systemd refugees! ;)

Homepage: https://www.vultr.com/

If your friend is looking for a shared server (your friend configures the
services while hosting provider administrators maintain the system, which
is shared with other customers) or a dedicated server (your friend is
responsible for configuring and maintaining the system, which runs on
hardware with no other customers), then you might want to check out
Tsukaeru.net, which has English customer support.  Jason Frisch, the CEO,
is on this mailing list, by the way.

Homepage: https://www.tsukaeru.net/
Shared: https://www.tsukaeru.net/share/
Dedicated: https://www.tsukaeru.net/dedicated/

(Note that the Tsukaeru.net links are all in Japanese.  It seems that
English webpages are currently only available for the cloud services.)

Cheers,

Travis