Re: [tlug] Um, so... systemd?

On 2017-01-19 05:55 -0500 (Thu), Scott Robbins wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 12:26:26PM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
> > On 2017-01-19 11:45 +0900 (Thu), Edmund Edgar wrote:
> >
> > > I fixed this by sprinkling "NM_CONTROLLED=no" liberally around the
> > > interface definitions. To be on the safe side I guess I should disable
> > > the network manager service entirely, and maybe get somebody in to do
> > > an exorcism.
> >
> > The incantation I use for that is `sudo yum remove NetworkManager`.
>

> I don't bother to remove [NetworkManager], because various updates
> reinstall it.

Really? That sounds rather odd, since nothing normally run on a server
should have a dependency on it. (I'd image that some of the graphical
network management tools typically installed on desktop systems might,
though.) Do you have more details on when you've seen this happen?

> (And it is necessary, as Edmund mentioned to add the
> NM_CONTROLLED=no to the ifcfg-whatever entries.)

Actually, that's necessary only if you actually run NetworkManager.
The tests that look at it are of the form

    if is_nm_running ...
        if ! is_false $NM_CONTROLLED; then

(This, I suppose, is the advantage of nasty shell scripts for setting
up stuff; when the documentation isn't reliable, as with the
`/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts` stuff, at least you can read through
the scripts and figure out what they do.)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson         <cjs@example.com>         +81 90 7737 2974

To iterate is human, to recurse divine.