Re: [tlug] Um, so... systemd?

On 01/15/2017 04:40 PM, David J Iannucci wrote:
I don't mean to start a flame war or anything (hee :=) but I am just
today discovering what seems to have happened in the Linux world,
recently, with systemd.

But apparently.... Debian has officially switched over to systemd and
the world is coming to an end? I've read a bunch of stuff today, this
being maybe the most virulent:

  https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2014/04/03/tso-and-linus-and-the-impotent-rage-against-systemd/

And it sounds like Red Hat and its "fascist" developers, the ones who
are forcing this change through, are the Trumps of the Linux world? Am I
understanding this correctly?

I very much respect the views of people on this list and now I feel a
little surprised that there hasn't been more discussion of this topic
here over the last couple years (Have I missed it?)

Anyway..... again, not to start a big thing, but what are y'all's
general viewpoints (briefly? :=) on systemd and how it is taking over
the Linux distro world...

Linux development seems to be dominated by colourful personalities and so technical discussions can descend into this sort of thing.

I have been using systemd with Gentoo, CoreOS and Ubuntu and it works well enough. Systemd has some more complexity then sysvinit based setups but it does more. It has a bunch of new tools you have to learn to use. If its going to be used consistently across distributions it should make system administration tasks a bit easier.

Edward