[tlug] RStudio interaction with ibus/mozc

Problem: In RStudio, the Japanese-input menu thingy sometimes appears on
top of the input cursor. As I then cannot see what I'm tying, nor the
line above, this stops me working for 3-4 seconds (then it auto-hides).
(If I accidentally enter Japanese mode, RStudio is also buggy.)

With other applications that thingy is down the bottom-left of the whole
screen, safely out of the way. (*)

I'm using iBus and mozc, Mint 17, xfce. (roughly XUbuntu 16.04, I think)

Given that I never need to type Japanese in RStudio, is there a way to
stop this? I'm thinking maybe an environmental variable I can set in the
start-up command such that it doesn't use iBus?

BTW, iBus (or something) insists on a global setting, as opposed to a
per-window setting. I've spent time on trying to sort that out before,
and gave up. I.e. I'd like to keep mozc on globally.

Thanks!

Darren

*: If you happen to know what they (the RStudio developers) have done
wrong, and what they need to do to get it to behave like other programs,
I'd be happy to try and pass along that information to them.

My New Book: Practical Machine Learning with H2O,
  published by O'Reilly. If interested, let me know and
  I'll send you a discount code as soon it is released.