Re: [tlug] FreeBSD-11, Firefox, and fcitx-mozc

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 03:00:29PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Curt Sampson writes:
>
>  > I have no advice on your particular problem, but I am interested as to
>  > why you chose LC_CTYPE to set as opposed to, say, LANG.
>
> Setting LANG changes stuff like date formats and yes/no; one gets in
> the habit of avoiding any POSIX locale nonsense.

To answer Curt's question, this was from trial and error from many years
ago.  It was probably a solution I found at some point in the late double
oughts, and have used since.

>  > LC_CTYPE deals only with character classfication; typically I think
>  > you'd want to set LANG and let LC_* inherit from that (and, if
>  > you're a very numerical guy like me, set LC_CTYPE=C to get
>  > ASCII/UNICODE sorting order on everything).

I seem to remember that at some point, setting LANG messed up
something--again, this is a habit from a long time ago, and I don't clearly
remember. For what I do, very light scripting, more often, at work,
sysadmin type stuff on other machines, whatever problems it may cause in
sorting don't affect me.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6