[tlug] perl? (was: Employment for "oldies")

Moin,

I know i'm resurrecting old mails, but...

On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 00:17:50 +0900
"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com> wrote:

> But what are your skills?  If you're a COBOL, Python 2, or Perl 5.8
> programmer, you'll become more valuable as time goes on (old code
> never dies, it just become less dense in the diffs).

What's with this perl thing lately? In the last.. uhm.. 2-3 years,
I have heard quite often that Japan is looking for people knowing
perl. AFAIK, perl was never a big thing anywhere, was it? Mostly
sysadmins using it.

I cannot imagine that there is a huge code base in perl that cannot
be quickly rewriten to a more popular languages (e.g. python) as all
perl code I have seen was usually just a bunch of 100-1000 line scripts.
I've never seen anything that was over 1000 loc in perl (ok, not true,
I've written such a beast myself).

			Attila Kinali

--
Malek's Law:
        Any simple idea will be worded in the most complicated way.