Re: [tlug] Best communications-enabled, efficient visit

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 5:54 PM, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:
>> * Suica vs Pasmo. Which one should I get? Is it sixes? My usual stomping
>>   grounds is centered roughly on Ikebukuro, if that makes a difference.
>>   I've never had one of these cards before, preferring to stick, even
>>   over many visits for the last 15 years, with the old paper tickets
>
> In one case where it did matter (and this was several years ago, so
> maybe no longer important) is if you buy a monthly commuter card.  If
> you tend to travel on JR on a month (or 3 month or 6 month) pass, JR
> will ask that you use the JR card (Suica, right?  I always forget
> which is which).

If you buy a commuter pass that includes both JR and two separate
private lines, it's been my experience that JR refuses to issue a
single card, but private railway companies will (via a Pasmo card) and
it can include the JR stretch (and two private lines).

A weird note - I've begun to have a very strange experience from time
to time that didn't happen for 30 years and then suddenly started
happening about a year ago or so.  You buy something with cash and
when they give you your change, they clamp their left hand firmly onto
the back of your outstretched right hand and put the change in your
palm with their right hand.  I don't know WTH that's about, but it's
creepy when it happens.  For that reason and just for convenience,
I've taken to paying for just about everything with a Suica card, to
both avoid filthy ten yen coins and that weird hand grabbing thing
that happens sometimes....

Lyle