Re: [tlug] Best communications-enabled, efficient visit

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 3:44 PM, David J Iannucci
<jlinux@example.com> wrote:
>   my very untechie wife, who's over there already, and she apparently
>   bought a sumaho very cheaply. Probly not iPhone, I guess. But if
>   buying makes more sense, then bring it on.
>
>   I had a favorite phone rental place before, Rentafone Japan, but it
>   seems they still have not caught up to the smartphone world. Probably
>   by their own strategy, but that doesn't help me.

There are many options at the airport for renting a phone.  For
example, if you are landing at Narita airport:

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guide/service/list/svc_19.html

(I guess Haneda airport has similar companies.)  The advantage is that
it is easy to return.

Some of them may even cater to foreign visitors, so they may have
English language information (as well as other languages).

I don't know what is the "SIM Card Vending Machine" at the bottom of
the page.  Probably worth looking in if you don't plan on making phone
calls.

My 2 yen is that if you aren't use to a particular brand, do not worry
too much about Android vs iOS.  Presumably, you're in Japan to have a
good time -- so I guess even the most basic models will be enough for
your needs.  Probably something that can give you access to Google,
Google Maps, and a trains schedule.  :-)

As it turns out, many people I know visiting Japan from here (Hong
Kong) tend to buy a SIM card for use in Japan.  Seems cheaper, though
I haven't tried myself.  Not sure if this option is available to you
where you are coming from.

>   But I would be grateful for ANY other advice on easy and convenient
>   access to free wifi, esp. places where I can put a laptop down to work
>   other than on my lap. I know about Starbucks, of course :=)

Free WiFi isn't that great in Japan, but I honestly doubt that it's
much better in other countries if they aren't really tourist oriented.
With Starbucks Japan, you actually have to register first...not
surprisingly, you need an Internet connection to do that.  :-)

I guess you can register yourself first before you go:
http://starbucks.wi2.co.jp/sp/sma_index_en.html.  Just don't pick a
password that you use elsewhere (standard advice, I guess)

> * Suica vs Pasmo. Which one should I get? Is it sixes? My usual stomping
>   grounds is centered roughly on Ikebukuro, if that makes a difference.
>   I've never had one of these cards before, preferring to stick, even
>   over many visits for the last 15 years, with the old paper tickets

I don't think it makes a difference.  Especially now that even a card
from Kansai works in Kanto.  I think the various contactless card
companies across Japan are starting to get together.  There are some
exceptions, but you probably won't see these exceptions in Tokyo --
maybe in small towns.

In one case where it did matter (and this was several years ago, so
maybe no longer important) is if you buy a monthly commuter card.  If
you tend to travel on JR on a month (or 3 month or 6 month) pass, JR
will ask that you use the JR card (Suica, right?  I always forget
which is which).

As you're just adding money and deducting from it, I think it doesn't matter.

As for security, I don't know how secure it is, but many cities
outside of Japan are starting to use it.  If where you are at isn't
yet, they will sooner or later.  So, I guess you can't avoid it for
long.

Ray