Re: [tlug] Continuous Integration

On 12 May 2016 at 21:59, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
On 12 May 2016 at 12:19, Benjamin Kowarsch <trijezdci@example.com> wrote:

> The way I work, I spent about 90% on design and only 10% on implementation.

That's probably close to true for me as well, it's just that I do a
lot of "design" whilst sitting in front of both a whiteboard and a
REPL. :)

On my present project my whiteboard is the graphviz tool and its DOT language.

First I drew trees and graphs with it manually to visualise the design I had in mind, then I wrote a code generator that generated the DOT automatically so I could render the graphs directly from my sources. And the library that emerged out of this that remained uncommitted for long can draw a tree of itself (but also of any other code).

The reward for putting a lot of effort into design always comes when after weeks of work you put it all together and it works like a charm, all your tests pass beautifully. I get tons of typos of misspelt identifiers and the like, but once the typos are gone, everything usually works perfectly.

By contrast, many many many years ago when I did the code-compile-try-it cycle thing, I got few typos but massive logic errors and design flaws.