Re: [tlug] Google Apps for Work

On 2016-05-11 21:34 +0900 (Wed), Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>  > I've spent enough time over the past dozen years battling with other
>  > programmers who are apparently desperate to keep things like Subversion
>  > and Git out of the hands of "business people"
>
> Wow.  I guess I'm fortunate that I've never tried to develop software
> in a "we all work within a 20m radius of the boss" context.  I don't
> know anyone who wouldn't benefit from using VCS if they were willing
> to learn it.

The irony here is actually that the "we all work within a 20m radius of
the boss" context is the one where this stuff can work best.

It's much, much easier to teach someone a few of the easiest, most
essential and most common operations of a VCS (basically, updating and
committing) and just be present to immediately help with any problems
that arise (a conflict being the most typical one).

But a lot of developers seem to want to take the approach that they'd
rather do hours of programming and hours of support behind the scenes
(learning new software, setting up more servers, developing backup and
recovery systems, etc.) than actually have to talk to a "user" for ten
minutes once every couple of weeks.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson         <cjs@example.com>         +81 90 7737 2974