Re: [tlug] Google Apps for Work

Curt Sampson writes:
 > On 2016-05-10 07:31 +0200 (Tue), Christian Horn wrote:

 > > I wonder how smoothly one could work with multiple persons,
 > > using a versioning system for storing the shared document.
 >
 > Brilliantly if the documents are in text format. (Millions of
 > programmers around the world do this every day.)
 >
 > For documents in opaque formats, however, dealing with conflicts ranges
 > from a hassle to a nightmare.

Indeed.  That's precisely why I abandoned the Coda filesystem 15 years
ago -- conflicts were too frequent (about once every two weeks), work
stopped until they were resolved in too many cases, and resolution was
effectively opaque -- I'd ended up using git to manage conflicts
conflicts that might arise between leaving work and arriving at home,
and there just wasn't a point to Coda once I was doing that (for me --
the then and now maintainer of Coda said "git and Coda work together
brilliantly").

 > Sometimes using things like a git-backed wiki can be helpful.

That's been my experience.  Most people aren't total font and color
freaks, so a wiki (or forum) with a reasonable-quality Javascript
editor can get the backing of more the 90% of the folks who would
otherwise insist on an opaque format.  Besides a minimum of italic and
boldface fonts, you also need drag-n-drop insertion of images (and
other attachments, though images are usually displayed as such, while
non-image formats usually are displayed as links), and then you're
golden.

Markdown (or ReST) is actually overkill!  Not that I'll complain if
you support all of Markdown. :-)