Re: [tlug] Google Apps for Work

On 10 May 2016 at 08:48, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:

> On 2016-05-10 07:31 +0200 (Tue), Christian Horn wrote:
>
>> I agree, but the downside that one basically hands out the company
>> data should also be mentioned.
>
> In many cases, leaving your documents stored on Google's servers is
> (sometimes considerably) more secure than usual document handling
> practices in companies that don't take special pains about security.

Very true, with one potentially important caveat: Google almost
certainly uses your data for things such as (but probably not limited
to) AdWords. I haven't read the EULAs very carefully, as I don't keep
personal data on Google drive unless I don't consider it sensitive or
have encrypted it, so I may be mistaken, but I would assume Google's
quid pro quo for free access to their productivity apps is your data.

I know that they charge for companies, but I don't think it is very
much, and I still think all your data is belong to them.

I'd love to be corrected here, so if someone knows this better than
me, please do say so.

Cheers,
Josh