Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 16.04-LTS SSH authentication problems

Hi Charles,

Yes, this got me as well on one of the servers I upgraded.  Or, at
least, it sounds like something similar.

Ubuntu 16.04 is now using OpenSSH 7.x, previously, it was around 6.8
or something.  From OpenSSH 7.x, DSA keys are disabled.

See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/ReleaseNotes, under the
section "OpenSSH 7.2p2".

This doesn't explain why your password doesn't work, but if you are
using a DSA key (like I was), you need to switch to something else.
Ideally, before upgrading if you're doing an ssh-based upgrade.

But, you can get around this on the client side by adding / modifying
your ~/.ssh/config and adding something like this:

Host *
  PubkeyAcceptedKeyTypes ssh-dss

(I forgot if it was ssh-dss or ssh-dsa.  Anyway, if you ssh in with
"-vvv" you will see an error message about ssh-dsX not in
PubkeyAcceptedKeyTypes .)

Oddly enough, the suggestions mentioned on the ReleaseNotes, which in
turn points to the upstream legacy documentation didn't work for me.
But the above change to config did work.  Enough for me to change to
RSA keys.

I think this is the problem you're facing, but I'm not too sure.  Hope it helps!

Ray