Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 16.04-LTS Japanese Text Input

On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 11:19:04AM -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 10:24:40PM +0900, Lyle H Saxon wrote:

> Y'know how when people say, I'm using Windows and we cut 'em off with
> THERE'S your problem?
>
> I don't know if ibus is still maintained but it's been problematic for
> awhile now. Switch to fcitx.  If I have a chance, I'll try a VBox install
> later today.
>
> Try srobb.net/jpninpt.html and follow the Ubuntu instructions for fcitx.

I have just checked, and fcitx with 16.04 works well. Unless you have a
compelling reason to use ibus, I'd switch to fcitx.  If you look for 16.04
in the Ubuntu section, you'll see the quick updates I made. Basically:
>From settings, install Japanese support--this will install fcitx-mozc.
Once done, close and reopen the window, then for input method choose fcitx.
Log out, log in. There's a keyboard icon in the upper left. Click it,
choose configure input method. Uncheck the default to only show current
language.  Type in mozc in the search box and you should see it listed in
the top. Highlight it if it's not highlighted, click OK.

>From then on, if you hit ctl+space, you should be able to input Japanese.

As for ibus, I have no idea. Although it more or less worked for me with
CentOS, I wound up finding an fcitx rpm for SuSE that I could modify and I
use it there too. :)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6