Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 16.04-LTS Japanese Text Input

On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 5:56 PM, Lyle H Saxon <llletters@example.com> wrote:
> I did an English language install of Ubuntu 16.04-LTS (32-bit, as it's
> a fairly low-spec machine) and while it indicated that it was
> installing Japanese support (due to the location being Japan), and it
> toggles between "En" and "JP", Japanese text input isn't working.
> Searching on-line, I am only coming up with fixes for older versions.
> (I had to manually change several settings to get it working with
> 14.04-LTS previously, but those fixes no longer work.)
>
> Anyone else in the group running 16.04-LTS?  Any suggestions?

I am but haven't gotten to getting Japanese text input working yet.
If I get that far and succeed, I'll let you know.

Perhaps I'm just unlucky but after upgrading 3 systems (home and work)
from 15.10 to 16.04 this weekend, I have the feeling the upgrade
process hasn't been as smooth as previous versions.  There were a lot
of package conflicts and rather than struggling with them, I
reinstalled 2 of the systems from scratch.  At least, that worked
without losing /home (though one of them ended with a kernel page
fault, which seemed fine after a reboot).  Never had any problems with
previous Ubuntu upgrades...

Hopefully any one else who tries to upgrade Ubuntu has better luck...

Ray