[tlug] Ubuntu on Windows

I know from prior discussions that there are a few TLUGers who are running Linux through VMware on Windows.

As you have probably heard, Canonical has made a deal with Microsoft to run Ubuntu as a subsystem on Windows, such that you can run it directly (sort of) from the Windows command line.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/226280-first-look-hands-on-with-ubuntu-on-windows-10

https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2016/03/30/run-bash-on-ubuntu-on-windows/

I joined the Insider Program and set it up. Except for a few glitches (like, at the moment, CRON seems not to work), everything I need (most of all SSH/RSYNC) is working OK, and no directory permissions problems, like in CYGWIN. And much faster and easier than through VMware.

Chuck

A. Charles Muller

Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology
Faculty of Letters
University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-8654, Japan