Re: [tlug] [CFP] Call for presenters - April 19 Technical Meeting

On 2016-03-08 21:32 +0900 (Tue), A.Tomita wrote:

> our next Technical Meeting will be held on April 19 (Saturday), at IIJ

I don't feel up to doing a proper presentation on this, but I'd be happy
to do a Q&A on the basics of networking and "how things are routed on
the Internet." I'm sure we could rope in a couple of other folks to set
up an appropriately divisive panel if we really want some fun.

The Tokyo ISP Throttling thread was the one that drove me most to
distraction (dudes, having NTT Hikari/FLETS/whatever does not mean that
NTT ever comes anywhere near any of your packets on the Internet!) but
there have been a few other threads with issues as well.

Here's a little example of something I could explain: traces of routes
to login.worldoftanks.asia from two different computers in my house,
both using the same NTT mansion fiber line:

    h 0 192.168.187.1
    d 1 tkynij35.asahi-net.or.jp
    d 2 tkybi4-v15.asahi-net.or.jp
    d 3 kddni2.asahi-net.or.jp
    d 4 as7473.ix.jpix.ad.jp
    h 4 210.171.224.126
    h 5 203.208.166.206
    h 6 203.208.182.193
    h 7 203.208.183.14
    h 8 203.208.175.74
    d 9 sg2-n5596-fe-1-vl231.fe.core.pw
    d 10 sg2-sl-a66.worldoftanks.sg

    d 0 219.117.251.193.static.zoot.jp
    d 1 nas82o.p-tokyo.nttpc.ne.jp
    h 2 210.165.249.93
    h 3 210.153.249.165
    h 4 210.165.241.41
    h 5 210.165.241.21
    d 6 e8-3-kanda-core13.sphere.ad.jp
    d 7 xg0-0-0-18-k-otemachi-core1.sphere.ad.jp
    d 8 xg0-0-0-10-n-otemachi-core1.sphere.ad.jp
    d 9 73-58-41-175.TWGATE-IP.twgate.net
    d 10 213-60-41-175.TWGATE-IP.twgate.net
    d 11 199524.sgw.equinix.com
    d 12 sg2-a9001-edge-1-be20-2000.fe.core.pw
    d 13 sg2-n5596-fe-1-vl231.fe.core.pw
    d 14 sg2-sl-a65.worldoftanks.sg

Yes, that first one never actually goes over an NTT Internet link.
And yes, that second one is going through Taiwan.

I'd be happy to have people bring their own traceroutes and discuss
them. Just make sure you bring IP addresses as well as hostnames for
each hop.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson         <cjs@example.com>         +81 90 7737 2974