Re: [tlug] Tokyo ISP Throttling? Why does my internet speed increase so much by setting up a proxy?

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 11:26 AM, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 12:09 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull
> <stephen@example.com> wrote:
>> That's exactly what [tcp]traceroute does, but it's limited in terms of
>> giving you other information about the route.  The mtr ("my trace
>> route") utility mentioned by Jens and Time also provides ping-like
>> information about times and dropped packets.
>>
>> Tim Osburn's posts also identify a bunch of other things that could be
>> causing issues.
> I'll investigate further to see what I can find.  I just ran mtr at
> work but I probably need to run it at home to compare the numbers.

Just a quick follow-up...

I ran mtr at home and work at the same time.  It turns out the
destination IP address is in California.

>From home, 9 hops is required.  It spends some time around Hong Kong a
bit, staying within servers belonging to the ISP.  Then it jumps
directly to Oregon and then to California.

Meanwhile, from work, 14 hops is required.  It bounces around Hong
Kong a bit longer, including spending some time on a "HK University
Backbone" -- I presume this is a shared backbone for all universities
in the city.  Then it goes off to the UK, and then enters the USA.

I'll have to play with the other ideas mentioned in this thread but,
at least, I found out that home and work is taking two entirely
different paths.  Distance-wise (in km), I guess going east is shorter
(?!?) but at least it's less hops.

The ping times are longer from home (I think that is the round-trip
time in ms?), but maybe the different path and more hops plays a
bigger part in download times?  The university is suppose to upgrade
its network "over the next few years" so maybe we an see some
improvement...but I don't think there's anything we can do to alter
the path it takes to the USA...

Thanks a lot, Stephen (and everyone else), for the advice!

Ray