Re: [tlug] DDB/CJKV-E Web Host under DDOS attack

On 06/01/2016 3:23 pm, "Curt Sampson" <cjs@example.com> wrote:

> On 2016-01-05 08:19 +1100 (Tue), Jim Breen wrote:
>
> > I'd love to have it running on a CDN, but the cost is rather significant.
>
> Do you have a traffic estimate? Services like netlify.com are fairly
> cheap: they offer a terrabyte/month for $40/month.
>
> The main issue looks to me as if figuring out how much of a site like
> wwwjdic could actually be run from static CDN servers. I'd bet that the
> common queries could mostly come from cached data served from a CDN,
> though, with some clever programming.

I was thinking of the load-spreading aspects. On looking at it more closely
I realise that wwwjdic is probably not a good CDN candidate after all.  It
doesn't have static content; everything is coming out of dictionary files with
a humungous number of potential query terms. I don't think there really are
identifiable common queries, or at least not enough to pre-compose.

cheers

Jim