Re: [tlug] Memory upgrade and CPU bit-width question

On 6 January 2016 at 13:13, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:

> On 2016-01-04 11:42 +0100 (Mon), Josh Glover wrote:
>
>> By portable, do you mean USB? I was going to recommend ensuring that
>> the USB bus could transfer data faster than a mechanical drive [...]
>
> Aw, Josh, I'd expected better of you! :-)

Well, I'd expected better of you than you expecting better of me! ;)

> Even with a slow bus, an SSD is probably still quite pointful. Typical
> read loads are not sequential but somewhat to very random,

Very good point. I hadn't really considered that in this context; my
thinking must have been biased by my assumption that external drives
are mainly used as cold storage, and that throughput would be the most
important factor.

> To iterate is human, to recurse divine.
>     - L Peter Deutsch

To recurse without TCO, diabolical! ;)