Re: [tlug] Memory upgrade and CPU bit-width question

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 12:32 PM, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
> On 2016-01-01 23:52 +0900 (Fri), Raymond Wan wrote:
>
>> I am many years out of date with respect to SSDs, but when they first
>> came out, they were known to not be very reliable in terms of the
>> number of reads and writes before failure.
>
> Yes, much like HDDs.
>
>> I think they are still not as good as hard disks...
>
> "Oops!" :-)
>
> But you're correct. The consumer models weren't (and almost certainly
> still aren't) not as good as HDDs for heavy write loads.
>> But if it is true, then you probably want to avoid having the
>> SSD store any partition that has a lot of reads and writes.
>
> Nope. Don't worry about it, except to the extent you worry about any
> disk being dropped from a two meter hight on to concrete or any other
> highly elastic[3] surface.

Thanks, Curt and others for the update on SSD reliability!

On an unrelated point to David's original query, I was looking at
portable SSDs recently on a recent visit to Japan.  At Yodobashi
Camera, they sold 512 GB ones at these prices:

22990 Lexar
37180 Samsung
72130 Buffalo

How can Buffalo's be 3 times the price of Lexar?  Is it "3 times more
reliable"?  The wide range in price (at least in this case with
portable SSDs) makes me feel there is something I'm still missing
about SSDs.   I think the Buffalo was "Made in Japan" whereas the
Lexar is "Made in China".  But triple the price?

[Regrettably, my Japanese has gotten worse since leaving Japan, so
perhaps there was something on the box that set them apart which I
completely missed.]

Ray