Re: [tlug] Memory upgrade and CPU bit-width question

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 6:04 PM, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 4:50 PM, David J Iannucci
> <jlinux@example.com> wrote:
>> Will I be wasting my time to go through a lot of gyrations to configure
>> my OS as 64-bit, because it just won't help in the end anyway?  Might
>> even make the box slower?  Seems I might be able to use that 2GB stick I
>> bought to upgrade a Macbook my wife uses (same era, and I think same CPU
>> family) to 3GB, so maybe the purchase was not in vain :=)
>

> How about putting a 64-bit version of Linux on a CD/USB drive and
> booting off of that and see if it works?  That is, can all 4 GB of
> memory be detected.

+1

Since you are running Gentoo (as /me), the closest is to download
SysRescueCD and select the 64-bit kernel (one of them) on boot.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download

And of course: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Lenovo_ThinkPad_X61
It looks like it is a normal 64bit machine (arch-wise) based on the
supposedly working kernel config.

Kalin.