Re: [tlug] Japanese input method

Hi Thomas,

Sorry, terribly busy the last couple of days...

On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 3:21 PM, Thomas <nyuwa@example.com> wrote:
> Good afternoon
> The little keyboard icon is now gone too - and after hours of toiling I
> still cannot bring it back.
> So, there is no clicking to switch between modes of any kind, including
> "direct/hiragana".
>
> Is there a trick to bring the icon back?

I don't know.  What I've done a few times now is basically follow the
steps on this page:

http://www.localizingjapan.com/blog/2013/10/20/japanese-input-on-ubuntu-linux-13-10-saucy-salamander/

You can perhaps give it a try?  I think some of the information there
overlaps with Scott's web page, though.

Something else you could try is to create another user account and log
in with it.  See if the problem is system-wide (i.e., affects all
users) or just your account.  If the latter, then creating another
account will "solve" the problem.  At the very least, you will know
it's due to a problem with one of the .* files/directories in home.

Most of these toolbar problems I've seen are system-wide, but it
couldn't hurt to create an account temporarily to eliminate that as a
problem.

Other than these two suggestions, I can't think of anything else...  Sorry!

Ray