Re: [tlug] using a TV as 4k display

On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 06:48:07AM +0800, Stephen Lee wrote:
> Christian Horn <chorn@example.com> wrote:
> > I use a thinkpad x230, it only provides displayport 1.1a,
> > so only 1920x1080.
>
> How about 4k@30Hz?  Supposedly that is possible with DP 1.1.

Thanks for the reminder to try this!
After much testing I got 4k resolution with 25Hz.  Video looks
ok apart from fast scenes, but probably not good for desktop use.

For 4k, xrandr does not present the modes by itself but I had to
create modlines manually.  The modelines also had to be special
in my case, not using blanking intervals which were needed for
CRT in the past.

In case someone needs it, it's captured on
http://fluxcoil.net/snippets/linux_4k_output .

As for screen mirroring: this works from Android, so porting
from there to Linux would probably also not be out of question.

Chris