Re: [tlug] english -> japanese rikaichan-like app

On 08/27/2015 04:27 AM, Travis Cardwell wrote:
> Hi Steve,

> Rikaichan was inspired by a web-service that significantly predates
> browser plugins, and it has an English to Japanese mode:
>
> http://www.rikai.com/perl/HomePage.pl?Language=Ja
>
> While it has not been updated in years and is not as convenient as a
> plugin, it might be worth trying out.

On 08/27/2015 04:27 AM, Travis Cardwell wrote:
Rikaichan was inspired by a web-service that significantly predates
browser plugins, and it has an English to Japanese mode:

http://www.rikai.com/perl/HomePage.pl?Language=Ja

While it has not been updated in years and is not as convenient as a
plugin, it might be worth trying out.

Thanks for the suggestions.

For some reason I hadn't even considered the web service.

I used the Rikaichan page back before the app even existed. I just tried it on yahoo.co.jp and saw mostly 文字化け but that isn't too much of a surprise considering how much the web has changed.

The iknow.jp popup dictionary looks interesting though.

The nice thing about Rikaichan is that it also works within Thunderbird.

I passed on the suggestions and will post my friend's response if/when I hear back. It might be interesting seeing where this goes. She's an English teacher specializing in second language acquisition.

Steve S.