Re: [tlug] Any recommendations for cheap reliable external storage?

> I'm looking for external storage of 5-10 TB, USB or Ethernet

I've been happy with a couple of 1TB USB3 disks that are powered over
USB. One is Toshiba, the other Lacie. My buying policy was to go for the
second cheapest in the shop, but deliberately two different brands.

I also have a 2TB USB3 external, Lacie again, with its own power supply
and a bit chunkier. Also happy, though powered-over-usb3 is really
convenient.

They were all bought 12-18 months ago, have done 3 or 4 long journeys
with me no problems - in fact, one got flooded inside a suitcase (ah,
now that was a storm to tell your grandchildren about!) but was fine
after being left to dry for 24hrs. Plug and play with linux; I put encfs
on them, so cannot tell how they work with any other OS. The encfs
password dialog pops up automatically when I plug them in (using Mint/xfce).

Darren

P.S. They are for backup, so only get plugged in 1-2 times/week.
Reliability might be different if they were constantly connected.