[tlug] Any recommendations for cheap reliable external storage?

I'm looking for external storage of 5-10 TB, USB or Ethernet
interface, among (cheap, reliable, fast) I guess reliable beats cheap
by a head, with fast well back in the pack.  Needs to work and play
nicely with Linux, and I may want to move it to a Mac Mini server
(don't ask) in the future.  RAID and non-RAID recommendations welcome.

I currently have a repurposed AV RAID SAN that talks CIFS, and that
just doesn't work well enough with Linux 3.14's mount.cifs.  It
occasionally hangs and then leaves undeletable cifsXXXX turds around.
(They are some kind of journal or temporary backup and eventually
disappear at reboot, I forget whether of the SAN, the host, or both.)
So I'd rather avoid CIFS, but the ads I've seen specify "Windows" or
"Linux" or "Mac" compatibility, not the actual protocol used.

TIA,

Steve