Re: [tlug] Program to Save / Remap Bad Sectors

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 12:03:39PM +0900, CL wrote:
> I have a 1Tb HDD, formatted in NTFS -- and filled to within 7Gb of max
> capacity with complete seasons of Doctor Who -- that is getting wonky.
> I am trying to clone the contents on to an external 2Tb drive which is
> also NTFS format using a CD-based program (Easus Disk Clone on a UBCD
> disk was the most recent try).  I keep running into bad sectors and
> stopped copy.
>
> Back in the days when you could cram a huge 800Mb into a full height 5
> 1/2" Maxtor HDD, there were DOS-based programs that would allow you to
> fix, move, and, alternatively, remap bad sectors but I can't seem to
> find anything I can use on a Live CD or boot into using CD or USB memory
> -- Linux or WIN based.  Anyone out there know and recommend a tool for
> this job?  Synaptic finds nothing, nor does a search of The Web.  Or am
> I just asking the wrong questions?

- plain "dd" has "noerror" which wont give repeated tries, but atleast
  return a zero instead of aborting the read operations
- ddrescue and dd_rescue have options allowing to tune "retries"
- besides trying to read the files with the tools, you also might want
  to try the blocklayer directly

Good luck,
Chris