Re: [tlug] USB usage in Virtualbox

Thomas writes:
 > On 2015/07/10 16:23, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
 > > Thomas Blasejewicz writes:
 > >
 > >   > What kind of magic is needed to make Virtualbox work?
 > >
 > > What do you hope to get from VirtualBox that you don't get from
 > > VMPlayer?  That is, why not just use VMPlayer?
 > With VMPlayer I am told every other day, that some packages have to be
 > compiled.

Compiled?  Are you sure you don't mean "installed" (see Scott Robbins'
reply)?

 > It seems a bit slow too. I had hoped for some improvements here ...

Slow compared to VirtualBox?  Now *that* would be *slow*.

 > I will open a new thread about that, but in years of searching, I
 > have not yet come across any decent / useful / good (native Linux
 > software) dictionaries.

You probably won't, either.  There's not much money to be made in the
Linux world on that kind of thing.  Personally, I find that Jim
Breen's EDICT for quick online reference plus 5 good paper
dictionaries (E-J, J-E, J-J, and E-E, plus a Japanese mathematics
dictionary, total cost about USD 900) do me fine.  The point is NOT
"that should work for you, too", it's that *I* am not going to pay USD
250 for an online dictionary I can't hack -- and I'm not even spending
my own money.  That attitude is quite common among Linux users -- and
the proprietary content vendors are well aware of it.

But that gives me an idea: maybe some of these fine dictionaries have
subscription web versions (like Jim Breen's open "WWWDICT")?  Then I
bet people would write free software apps to talk to the "dictionary
in the cloud" and you could use those on your Linux system.

I suppose that since you've already invested in Windows dictionaries
as I understand it, you'd be unwilling to duplicate that expense by
subscribing to a cloud service.  There is one other possibility that
occurs to me.  Apparently for *Japanese-produced* dictionaries, there
are well-known (or at least somewhat-known) APIs and people have
written dictionary access applications to use them in free software.
I don't know if that would work for your software, and it's been many
years since I've heard anything so maybe those free applications are
obsolete.  But it might be worth investigating.

 > The other day, when I tried (also for the millionth time) to make
 > Wine work, the attempt at setting the locale

Windows itself doesn't have locales, in the sense of consistent/
packaged sets of linguistic/cultural settings invoked by keyword.  I
would be surprised if WINE, as an emulator for a system without
locales, handles locales sanely.

 > Sorry for my constant complaining.

Well, it does get tiring after a while. ;-)  But if