[tlug] Japanese input method

Good evening
I asked on the now revived (the members did not know it was 'dead' ...) Mint ML,
but they said, I should ask, where there are more people.

I have been through this a million times by now.

I have recently installed Mint 17.1 completely new (my last installation
went down the drain when I tried to set the "locale" for Wine and at
least I could not recover the system), upgraded to 17.2.
Both IBus (Anthy) and Fcitx (Mozc) are installed. So are Japanese fonts.

I DID setup the input method AND installed a German KB layout (I use
English, German, Japanese).

For a while, while I was using Mint 17 (before the above mentioned crash),
it was working, sort of.

Right now, when I try to use Japanese, I get the message:
"Keyboard Input Methods (IBus Daemon) is not running. Do you wish to
start it? No/Yes"
Naturally, I choose "Yes".
BUT, I don't get the Japanese.
So I try logout. The keyboard icon switches, but I still do not get the
Japanese input.
AND, whenever I press the key to switch input methods, the German KB
layout "disappears".
It is still there under KB layouts, but the shortcut to switch KB
layouts is not working any longer.

If I change it to ANYTHING other, or only once back and forth, it will
"reappear", but only until I press the
key for switching to Japanese.

I encountered this particular behavior ONLY with Mint so far.

Is there any way of telling Mint to remember both the presence of the KB
layouts and convince to use Japanese?
I mean in a way so that Mint will remember all that and relieves me from
the duty to reset all this each and every time I use the computer.
Since THAT makes everything else irrelevant.

Thank you.
Thomas