Re: [tlug] systemd opinions for a web server?

nigel barker writes:
 > On 5 July 2015 at 19:08, Bruno Raoult <braoult@example.com> wrote:
 > > there was no /var/log/syslog.

Some people have /var/log/messages, others have each daemon or each
daemon user log to a different place.

 > > Or said differently: You cannot "cat somefile". It is inside the
 > > system, and

If systemd is running as init (pid 1), I don't know how to set this
(must have something to do with the kernel, but I can't find it in my
grub.cfg, so I guess it's buried in the initrd), but basically the
setting is to run

                     systemd --log-target=syslog

 > This is what I am worried about, but Mattia above is saying you can
 > still have text logs if you like, so it must be an option
 > somewhere.

This is what worries me:

    COLOPHON
       This index contains 1621 entries in 14 sections, referring to 177
       individual manual pages.

    systemd 215                                         SYSTEMD.DIRECTIVES(7)

Scary, isn't it?  This isn't reassuring, either:

http://fedora.12.x6.nabble.com/what-mean-journal-or-kmsg-systemd-log-target-td5012990.html

One wonders why people like "poma" bother to answer questions at
all....