Re: [tlug] Reinstallation and partitions (Mint)

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 9:47 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
> Thomas writes:
> As I mentioned to Bruno, at one time total swap of twice memory size
> was recommended.  I don't know if that's still true.  For /boot you
> only need a handful (50MB should be more than enough since I assume
> you don't build your own kernels).

More or less what I am doing.  For the swap file, this is a bit out of date:

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/sag/html/vm-intro.html

but they suggest seeing how much you need at first and then making it later.

I personally use 2 * memory because once something exceeds main memory
and is paging a lot, my patience gives up before the virtual memory.
:-)  If your main memory takes up 25% of your total maximum virtual
memory (for example) and you find yourself using it up most of the
time, then you will be thinking of upgrading your memory very soon.
:-)  It is annoying to resize a swap partition while you're logged in,
though.

As for /boot, I was lazy once and whenever I upgraded the kernel via
apt-get, I failed to erase old ones diligently.  And, very quickly
filled up /boot, causing the upgrade to fail .  After a while, I gave
up and didn't create a /boot partition.

Ray