Re: [tlug] Reinstallation and partitions (Mint)

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 4:14 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <turnbull@example.com> wrote:
Bruno Raoult writes:

 > This is old thinking.

So are LISP and FORTRAN, but they're still going strong despite the
passing of 58 years and name changes to Lisp and Fortran.

 > You need virtual memory, a simple calculation is not worth.

What does that mean?

Not more that what you can read... I suppose you understand how virtual memory is used.

 > If you buy a new computer with 64 Gb, it does not mean you need 128
 > Gb of swap.

Maybe not, but what calculation are you using to determine that?

The old thinking, which said "twice the memory for swap". Just stupid today.

 > I just told you that my total of 8 (4 + 4) was enough for the time
 > being.

Yes, and you have also never had problems installing Linux.  Since
Thomas has had problems installing Linux, he might also get unlucky
with swap.

Ooops ? And maybe with his chair or mug ?

br.

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.