Re: [tlug] Reinstallation and partitions (Mint)

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 8:28 AM, Thomas <nyuwa@example.com> wrote:
Good afternoon
Since I could not figure out, how to return my installation to its
normal state, I decided to reinstall.
Yesterday night I started, but in the middle of the process remembered,
that somebody on the now
gone Mint mailing list recommended creating custom partitions for /root,
swap etc.

On the net, somewhere it said (several versions earlier) something like
30 GB for /root and
maybe 4-5 GB for swap is OK.

Is there any consensus about these sizes? In particular the /root partition.
Since I have a 500 GB HDD with plenty of room to spare ...

My / is 45 Gb, and used at 46%. It includes /var, I should precise, which is around 10Gb alone, half of the / size.
My swap is on 2 disks, for a total of 4Gb. My memory is also 4Gb.
I never went out of virtual memory, Firefox being the most hungry,  but usually not more than 2Gb.

The rest of the disks are for me (/export). My /home is a link to /export/home. For the record, as I share pictures, music, and video with my wife, on Mac, these are not on my computer.

One other thing.
No other computer / OS ever did/does this:
after a clean installation from DVD, I get a number of messages, but the
compute DOES NOT reboot

Is this normal?

Surely not, you may imagine.

br.