Re: [tlug] Software center gone

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 8:34 AM, Thomas <nyuwa@example.com> wrote:
On 2015/06/29 2:05, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 20:41:43 +0900
>
> You had a crash, and probably one of the files that manage your installed
> packages got corrupted. You can compare this to the corruption of
> the software database on windows, which would mean you have to completely
> reinstall the machine. On Linux you at least have a chance to fix that,
> if you know which knobs to turn.
>
>                               Attila Kinali
Good afternoon
Given the fact, that these "disasters", crashes etc. happen constantly
every five minutes,
during the most trivial operations ....
I REALLY would like to know some of those "emergencey knobs".

If that is something even I can remember / comprehend, I mean.

Like the "reset button" ages ago.
When the computer goes berserk ... just push that button and everything
goes back to normal.
It DID work for me many times.

There was no magic there. A broken system is just broken, and needs a fix. A backup is an option, if you know what you need to replace. An install DVD is another, considering you will loose a lot. Choosing a file system which allows snapshots is another one (you may consider this is a backup, but it is not).

Or of course, you may prefer to just fix the problem, and keep your system as it is. This would be my choice. This needs a little investigation however, just by understanding what is the trigger to the issue (at first: system or user related).

br.

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.