Re: [tlug] Self-introduction + thank you for scanner help

> With a _lot_ of help from this list, especially from Stephen Turnbull, I did
> manage to get my Brother printer/scanner working on Linux Mint 17
> Qiana here in Japan. (The printer was easy. The scanner was not.)
> So, after the re-install everything almost works as it should, and does
> work well enough for my purposes.

I think we had the same scanner (DCP-7055). Was the reinstall actually
Mint 17.1 (aka a base distro of Ubuntu 14.04.2)?

Just curious, as my scanner magically started working in April this
year... but I'd not tried scanning anything for a few months, so I don't
know exactly what changed. But the biggest change was the update to mint
17.1.

> Strangely enough, I could only use the scanner as root at first, despite
> having set up a group and done what I knew how to make it available.

There are quite a few ideas here:

http://superuser.com/questions/298298/scanning-only-works-under-sudo-ubuntu

Darren

My new book: Data Push Apps with HTML5 SSE
Published by O'Reilly: (ask me for a discount code!)
  http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920030928.do
Also on Amazon and at all good booksellers!