Re: [tlug] Help with Mint

On Sat, Jun 27, 2015 at 07:38:10PM +0800, Raymond Wan wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 5:20 PM, Thomas Blasejewicz <nyuwa@example.com> wrote:
> > I am NOT a Windows fan (should be clear by now). BUT, Windows has this
> > little trick, where you can return the machine to a point in time,
> > you know it was working properly. For example the day before, or a week
> > earlier.
> > You may loose everything you set up in that period of time, but that is
> > still much easier and less painful than doing everything from scratch
> > again ...
> >
> > Does Linux has this kind of trick?
> > If so, I would love to learn it.
>

> Not that I know.  But "rsnapshot" comes close.  [http://rsnapshot.org/]
> [..]
> All sounds good and I do use it, but you cannot return the system to
> an earlier time at the push of a button.  [..]

LVM snapshots (with a filesystem ontop) can be used to take a snap-
shot which can later either be removed (if the intended change/upgrade
worked well) or can be used to roll the system back to the state where
the snapshot was taken.

This is a bit complicated though because /boot has still to live on
a partition (not LVM volume), and has to be taken care of.

Chris