Re: [tlug] small WiFi access point

On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 00:22:10 +0900
Nicolas Limare <nicolas+tlug@example.com> wrote:

> I am working on my home WiFi network. Until now, it was managed via a
> USB WiFi dongle plugged on my RaspberryPi router, but since it is
> unstable[1] I am switching to a stand-alone device dedicated to the
> wired->WiFi link. I just want to add the wireless layer to my home
> network, with something as simple and small as possible. I don't want
> another NAT layer, not a second RaspberryPi, not a big multifunction
> device (switch-wifi-router-coffee-machine-whatever), etc.

Well, a big part of the problem is, that you tried to use
a graphics card with a weird USB controller as a wifi router.
This is only going to work if you know how to tweak every component
in the system to do your bidding (and with tweak, i mean edit the source).

It would have been by far simpler if you had started with something
like a Alix board. It has only a bit higher power consumption than
an rpi, but behaves like a normal PC and thus is easier to handle.

Alternatively, get a Minnowboard Max. It is much more well behaved
and has a proper USB interface (beside being a proper embedded device).

			Attila Kinali

use without that foundation.