Re: [tlug] Looking for Summer Internship in Japan

Hi Ryutaro,

On 2015/03/10 8:12, Ryutaro Morgan wrote:
> Hello Tokyo Linux Group!
>
> My name is Ryutaro Morgan and I am a college student from Portland,
> Oregon, USA. I am currently looking for an internship in Japan this
> summer and I was wondering if any members in the group are looking for
> summer interns at the moment?
>
> I was born in Japan and lived there for the first 10 years of my life. I
> am planning to return to Japan this summer to reconnect with my family
> and friends, but also to work and improve my programming skills. While
> living in Japan, my dad was part of the Tokyo Linux Group, so he thought
> it would be a good idea to
> ​​
> reach out to the group for internship opportunities.

To find your opportunity by yourself, I recommend you to be more practical.

Create your LinkedIn account and Twitter account, share your (personal) project on Github, use Google to look for Japan-based companies on several tech media (TechCrunch or Tech in Asia for example) where you want work, find hiring/internship info (or people) there, and tell your story to them in person.

We are now living in the internet/open source age, so that's the way to go. And I think many tech people in Japan, particularly in tech startups, prefer that way, because your 100 loc would tell more about yourself than thousands of words.

Several Japan-based tech companies are trying to expand their effort globally. So, I guess you will be able to have some opportunity if you do things yourself in a proper way.

Also Wantedly would be a good starting point for you.

https://www.wantedly.com/user/switch_locale?locale=en

Finally, I've been working as a database engineer at a healthcare startup company in Tokyo. From my point of view, several (old) industries are seriously looking for tech people nowadays to create something new. Our company as well.

I'm not sure about your preferences, so I can't tell you exact company names, but it's safe to say that you will be able to have a good opportunity to improve your tech skill in Japan.

Regards,

I am interested in technical internships where I can contribute to team
projects. I previously had experience as a web developer for Intel in
Hillsboro, Oregon. I also developed SharePoint sites for faculty and
staff at Gonzaga University. I am very proficient in C, C++, Python, and
JavaScript (I have basic knowledge of Java and Ruby). I also worked on
personal projects utilizing the several APIs. If you are interested in
viewing my past experience in detail, I am happy to send you my resume.

I will be available to work from mid-June to mid-September (3 months). I
am a quick learner, so I can learn new languages and skills between now
and my arrival in Japan. I am planning to stay with my relatives in
Tokyo, so I am able to commute every day if my internship is in Tokyo.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me an email (rj@example.com
<mailto:rj@example.com>).

Thank you!

Ryutaro Morgan