Re: [tlug] Looking for Summer Internship in Japan

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 2:12 AM, Attila Kinali <attila@example.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 01:53:47 +0800
> Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:
>
>> I found out the hard way [i.e., total embarrassment] that if you don't
>> have a "reasonable" level of Japanese, you're wasting your time.
>
> Unless you are willing to spend time in Japan to learn Japanese.
> I came to Japan with knowing almost no Japanese (はい、and いいえ were
> about the most i could do), and still managed to get to a level
> where i now can order sushi without looking like a total fool.
> Yes, it took a while (half a year in Japan + continuing learning afterwards)
> and it did cost me a lot of energy. But it was totally worth it.

I actually meant going to the job fair with an inadequate level of
Japanese and not going to work in Japan.  At the job fair (back then),
they gave on-the-spot mini interviews.  Unless you lived in San
Francisco or Boston, it was pretty far to travel to be told "No" in
another language.  :-)

Of course, if you live in SF or Boston, then the cost of going is a lot less...

Ray